Sunday, January 29, 2012

Entry 5: Gothic Rose Antiques - Knife Review

Homg I should stop buying things online. Another item review ahead!

Earlier in the month, I fell in love with this website called Gothic Rose Antiques. I was mesmerized with all of the beautiful collectables they carried. Whenever I go antique hunting, I look in regular antique and second-hand stores and find something that (with the right fixing up) could be considered gothic. It's quite refreshing seeing an antique store dedicated to gothic decor!

GRS carries many interesting artifacts like books on the occult, crystal balls, poison bottles and even photos of dead people. There's a lot stuff to look at. Sadly, the website is a little strange to navigate and the music can be a little brain numbing. Once you figure it all out though, you might have a tough time leaving!

So anyways, this is what I purchased

Timeline
January 12th, 2012: Placed my order using their online cart
January 17th, 2012: Received an email telling me it was shipped
January 27th, 2012: Package arrived
Packaging was a nice US Postal box protecting a small paper tissue bundle which covered a tight wad of bubble wrap. The tissue paper was even sealed with a custom sticker of theirs. I almost felt bad tearing it open. 


Then ta-daa! Out popped the newest member of our family! Two of my best friends and my boyfriend are knife and sharp-objects collectors and I always felt a little envious of them and their little buddies. Me being a fashion student, I took upon myself to get something *pretty*. It was months before I found the right knife.
Lovely lovely!
Unphotoshopped Picture
I love the shape

It was love at first sight. I now know why everyone gets so attached. His name is Cuddles, Hand Cuddles. Because of his shape, he feels amazing to hold. I know it sounds stupid, but holding him reminds me of holding someone's hand. Quite the lovely experience especially when you know you're holding something so gorgeous.

He didn't come sharpened and his blade is made of stainless steel. My boyfriend says he can't be sharped and my best friend says he can, so the jury's out on that. I mostly bought him to fit in with my crazy friends for decoration and opening the mail so a sharp edge isn't necessary for my needs.

Overall, I'd give the quality of the knife a 5/5.
It doesn't feel cheap or flimsy at all, but it's not super heavy. It feels like it was designed for a lady, which is what I like. It fits comfortably in my hand and isn't a lead weight in my purse or pocket. I'm no knife expert but I'm very satisfied with my purchase. 

As for Gothic Rose Antiques I'd give a 4.75/5
I subtracted .25 of a mark simply for the fact it took a while for my order to be sent out. Everything else was pleasant and I would definitely buy from them again!

GRS also has a wicked shop in Placerville, CA. It looks really neat and I'd love to plan a road trip someday and browse their items in person. If you're in the area, definitely go check it out. Or if not, you can always check out their YouTube page.

I hope you enjoyed my second review!
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer!

References

No comments:

Post a Comment